Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums - View Single Post - Chesapeake Bay Retriever
View Single Post
post #28 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 06:29 AM
OnMyWay2MyDreams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 3,051 Times in 1,546 Posts
Of all the ones I have met, and it's been quite a few, only 1 was "friendly" towards numerous people. The others ..not so much. They are quite protective and nothing like a golden. They are the watchdog of the retrievers. My hubby had one when he was a kid, his mom had bought him from show lines intending to show him. Well, that didn't pan out because he bonded with him and if he wasn't around no one else could touch him. His mother got bit I believe and ended up rehoming him because my hubby ended up living with his dad and she couldn't touch the dog. They are definetly not a first time dog or even second and you must have a job for them. You must be willing to work with their possessiveness and minimize the situations where something could happen.. I would never own one with having kids. I do hope they improve the tempermant but I think it will be quite awhile before they can because it is so deep inside of them. They are a lovely dog, such a shame they didn't focus more on tempermant when they started creating this breed.

Alison and 4 Furry & 2 non furry kids
Sogni Doro Life In The Fast Lane "Chase" DOB 11/13/14
Sogni Doro Where Dreams Come True "Daisy" DOB 2/18/14
Goldridge Lights Action "Lilly" CD RN CCA DOB 1/28/11
http://k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=433352
Sanford- JRT DOB-9/5/06

Bridge dogs
Toby-Boxer ([email protected]) 9/17/2002-11/1/12
Charlie- Boxer (1st "child")2/19/02-3/18/12
Julie- golden (heart dog) 5/6/96-3/3/07
Ruby- terrier mix (1st dog) 8/1/90-1/15/05
Rusty-shih tzu 2/5/99-1/20/04